Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Day Out With Thomas (Grapevine, TX)

Went there with my son today. He had a great time.

There were:
1) petting zoo with rabbits, chickens, pig, donkeys, ducks etc...,
2) a good size model train exhibit
3) temporary tattoo booths
3) live music but I'm not sure if it's really for kid. I was expecting them to play Thomas music but they didn't.
4) 2 inflatables - 1 inflated slide and 2 inflated bounce houses
5) an area with wooden and plastic train sets. I think they can add a few more train sets.
6) and of course Thomas himself. It is not a working engine but rather just a life size dummy.
   The kids enjoyed it any way.

The ride was smooth. Total 25 minutes including both ways. Approximately 10 minutes going forward and another 10 minutes going back. I think it would be better if they run a little longer and include a stop but I guess for the price ($16 dollars/ticket if you buy online), you can't ask for too much. I think the train ride to Forth would be better but without Thomas of course. I thought about doing that one day with my son since he loves riding trains. Another cool train ride would be the Dart. My son loves that as well. Take the Dart to the Aquarium, Museum etc. instead of taking the car.

Along the tracks needs a little clean up (though not dirty) and more trees. I think it would be better if they have planted more trees along the way.

Even though we bought the tickets ahead of times online, we still had to wait for at least 15 minutes to get in. I think they should have a separate line for 'Will Call'. I also think they should give us an option to print the ticket after buying it online.

Over all, it's a great event for kids. I think it can be improved.

Tip:
1) If you definitely want to ride the train, do buy the ticket ahead of time online. They ran out of seats for the train ride when we were there.
2) Do buy the tickets way a head of time. Probably a few weeks before the events so so that you would get the tickets in the mail and by pass the line at the ticket booths.

Grapevine's 'A Day Out with Thomas' official link:
https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/ThingsToDo/GrapevineVintageRailroad/EventsandTrainRides/ADayOutWithThomas/tabid/799/Default.aspx

VL Rating: Good (for the idea), BAD (for the environment).


No comments:

Post a Comment