Sunday, February 5, 2012

GE Microwave Oven JE1590 Turntable Problem

GE Microwave Switch WB24X10029

I have this GE Microwave Oven Model JE1590 for about 6 years now and suddently, the turntable wouldn't turn anymore When pressing the "Express" button to heat up food. The light turns on but the turntable wouldn't turn. After doing lot of googling online people talked about the motor problem, control board problem but 1 post from a forum (I can't find the link anymore), the person talked about an upper switch being faulty. I can see the bottom switch but I did not see any switch from looking straight in the top hole where the top hook of the door goes in. But at a close look (look at an angle from the top downward) I can see a switch there.

After carefully opening the cover and took out the switch and tested it, I determined that the switch was faulty. I tested the switch on the bottom (the one that look exactly the same as the one the top and confirmed that. BTW, there are 3 switches total; 2 on the bottom and 1 on the top.

Generic part SW-SECONDARY 28QBP0497
Next step was to order the switch. The manufacture did a really good job to hide the model #. I couldn't find the model # on the switch itself. To determine the switch model #, I did a google search on "GE Microwave JE1590" and a few websites that sells parts pops up.
Most of them selling the exact same switch for $20+ plus shipping. One of them (partstore.com) , however, offer generic for around $7.57 + shipping of $5.95 and Tax. I ordered 2 just in case.

With the new switch, the microwave is working again.
I'm glad I don't have to replace it or call for service.
It could have been a few hundreds instead of just less then $25 with a spare switch.

Original switch part#: WB24X10029
Generic part: SW-SECONDARY 28QBP0497

WARNING:
- Unplug the microwave before you open the cover.
- DO NOT TOUCH any thing other than the switch.


No comments:

Post a Comment