Thursday, June 28, 2012

HP DVD Writer 1040R is not recognized by Windows 7

My laptop stopped recognizing  HP DVD Writer 1040r all of a sudden. Well that was what I thought at first. But after an hour of searching online I found the solution and I think I know what caused it. It happened after I installed Pinnacle Studio Plus 10.6. During the install, Windows was complaining about the driver but I ignored it not knowing which driver it was taking about.


Here is the solution. I found it on the HP Support Forum:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/DVD-Model-1040R-will-not-read-DVDs/td-p/17030


I copied and pasted the solution here just in case they remove it from the forum.
Note that on my laptop, the ONLY registry key I found was


"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\LowerFilters"


I renamed it (instead of delete just in case) and unplug the usb cable of the DVD Writer then plug it back in. Windows 7 reinstalled the driver automatically and the DVD Writer is now working again.
I didn't have to uninstall Pinnacle Studio Plus 10.6.

Re: DVD Model 1040R will not read DVDs
Options
If only one of the two filters are listed, just proceed with deleting the one only, then resume.
What it fixes...

    * Your CD or DVD Drive does not read or write and is shown as disabled
    * The media in your CD or DVD drive cannot be read
    * The media cannot be written to by your CD or DVD drive
    * You receive one of the following errors:
          o A class specific or device specific driver is missing or corrupt
          o A CD or DVD drive cannot be found or is not connected
          o The CD or DVD drive is experiencing a problem that prevents it from working properly
          o The CD or DVD drive is not accessible via an assigned drive letter

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

2.Manual - make a backup of the registry and your important documents first. Just in case.

Start -> Run -> Regedit ->  Edit -> Find ->

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\UpperFilters"

Delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\LowerFilters"
Delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K\"
Delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k\"
Delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf\"
Delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr\"




No comments:

Post a Comment