Sunday, June 12, 2011

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II

This is a great one-lens for travelers...with kids. I found that when traveling with kids, you don't have the luxury to change lens. Everything is spontaneous and happen very quickly.

I got this lens a few months ago after exhaustive research. There are a lot of lenses out there but with the price and features that I want this fits it 'almost' perfectly. I was hoping they would come out a lens with f2.8 but they didn't. With second thought, even if they make such lens, the price would not be the same. I have been using it on a few trips with my wife and kids. I'm very happy with it so far. Most of the shots I got from this lens are fairly good comparing to my other older lens. Most importantly it has image stabilization which has allowed me to shoot in places with lower light than normal. It is also amazingly compact which make it easy to carry around. The new version that I got has a zoom lock switch to secures lens barrel at its minimum length.

Not sure how it stacks up with more expensive lenses but I'm very happy with it.
I'm using it with my Nikon D70 that I bought more than 6 years ago.

Note:
The new version which has the zoom lock switch has "VR" lettering in gold.


Specifications (from Nikonusa.com)

  • Mount Type
    Nikon F-Bayonet
  • Focal Length Range
    18-200mm
  • Zoom Ratio
    11.1x
  • Maximum Aperture
    f/3.5
  • Minimum Aperture
    f/22
  • Format
    DX
  • Maximum Angle of View (DX-format)
    76°
  • Minimum Angle of View (DX-format)
  • Maximum Reproduction Ratio
    0.22x
  • Lens Elements
    16
  • Lens Groups
    12
  • Compatible Format(s)
    DX
    FX in DX Crop Mode
  • VR (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization
    Yes
  • Diaphragm Blades
    7
  • Distance Information
    Yes
  • ED Glass Elements
    2
  • Aspherical Elements
    3
  • Super Integrated Coating
    Yes
  • Autofocus
    Yes
  • AF-S (Silent Wave Motor)
    Yes
  • Internal Focusing
    Yes
  • Minimum Focus Distance
    1.6ft.(0.5m)
  • Focus Mode
    Auto
    Manual
    Manual/Auto
  • G-type
    Yes
  • Filter Size
    72mm
  • Accepts Filter Type
    Screw-on
  • Dimensions
    (Approx.)3.0x3.8 in. (Diameter x Length)
    77x96.5mm (Diameter x Length)
  • Weight
    (Approx.)19.8 oz. (560g)
  • Supplied Accessories
    • LC-72 72mm snap-on front lens cap
    • LF-1 rear lens cap
    • HB-35 Bayonet hood
    • CL-1018 Flexible lens pouch
    *Supplied accessories may differ depending on country or area.

VL Rating: Excellence (for compact, Zoom versatility, image stabilization and price)

You can get it from Amazon.com by clicking on this link: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II

No comments:

Post a Comment